“Search One and Done”… don’t you wish there was a KAYAK search tool for datasets?
Currently, the closest thing to a single search interface that pulls from a broad collection of heterogeneous data repositories at diverse scales is DataONE (http://dataone.org). Available DataONE repositories (“member nodes”) that host a substantial number of datasets about and relevant to coral reef work include:
- LTER Long Term Ecological Research network (e.g., Moorea Coral Reef LTER),
- NOAA NCEI Nat’l Centers for Environmental Information (incl. historic sea surface temperature data, some coral reef monitoring data),
- Dryad (wide ranging publication-associated datasets),
- KNB Knowledge Network for Biocomplexity (including coral reef studies),
- and many more (https://www.dataone.org/current-member-nodes)
You can get your own data into DataONE through KNB or ONEShare member nodes if other repositories are not a good fit.
DataONE continues to be actively developed and improved, and to add new member nodes. It currently provides access to over 630,000 metadata and datasets. Don’t miss DataONE’s Investigator Toolkit (https://www.dataone.org/investigator-toolkit).